Today's Post

10 May 2010

Gaudium cum Pace


Never have I sought for thought of happiness in this way before. I have long fascinated myself over the idea of happiness and how it is found, but I only came to realize that happiness is not sought for its own sake.

At first there were the simple things that made me happy as a little girl. Being able to draw, color, play with my friends, watch the television and read books were the simple things I enjoyed doing. Grades and achievements have made me happy as well. Until disappointments one by one introduced themselves to me. Then, it became harder for me to just hold on to simple things that made me happy.

I don't like disappointments, (well, who does?) but my decision to be happy kept me well and... happy. From this, I have proven to myself what others would say, happiness is a decision.

For a relatively long and uneventful time, I have kept myself happy such that people say I'm a sunny person who never had a gray cloud hover her head. Major failure in exams, trying times in the family, and even death of a loved one, never stopped me from having a positive outlook in life. Wow, what strength, you might say. And yes, even I am overwhelmed by how God led me through these trials in my life. From this, I realized, happiness is not just a mere decision, but allowing God himself to make me happy by abandoning myself to Him in times of trouble.

But what else can I do to be happy? A wise man told me: think of the others. He told me, that when I think of the others, all my problems will go away, because the only concern I will be left with are the concerns of the others. And well, he said it like it was magical. To me, anything that makes its own vanishing act that's unexplainable is like magic. But the wisdom to his teaching is nothing magical. Rather, the wisdom to his teaching lies in the very idea of love.

Happiness is not sought for, it is merely a consequence of doing good out of love. I realized, to think of the others is what will lead me to my gaudium cum pace. I realized that only with love will I be able to seek for the Good, and only true good will give the consequence, joy with peace. And when this happens, when you're able to love unselfishly, happiness comes with peace.

0 ruffleschmuffled: