Today's Post

01 June 2009

Social Scripts

When I was in grade three, I remember having the lesson on how to introduce yourself, how to introduce a friend to someone older or to someone in authority, how to introduce a woman to a man, as well as how to introduce your friends to each other. These are social scripts taught to us when we were younger. I wish there was also a script taught to us concerning death.

Sorry Ma'am, my dad passed away a year ago. i'm saying this to you as a matter of fact simply because you need to know.

I wish there were an easier way to say such personal things in a semi-public conversation, to a non-personal friend, who's not even an acquaintance, but who needs to know the fact that my dad died. I wish they also knew better of how to respond to such statements, without making me repeat again and again who died and when he died in a semi-loud voice because she couldn't hear. I wish they knew how to respond to such without the need to see or feel the hurt in the person, but with an objective concern for the person and an objective detachment from the statement given. I'm not asking for special treatment, but just the basic respect and acknowledgment that death is never an easy circumstance to cope with. I wish it was easier for me to say it with much objectivity for the sake of academic transactions - void of emotions, but just the simple and plain truth.

Hi Dad. I tried to be strong throughout the year since your death. But today was especially difficult to hold in the thought that I wish you were still here. I never tried to forget the fact that you passed away, but hoped to go through each day with your pseudo presence. I'm half dreading the start of school and being in PGH, because I fear that by the time it has started already, I'll be wishing even further that you're still here.

I love you, Dad. So much so that it should be a comforting thought to remember that you're so much happier than ever. I'm sorry for being selfish at times.

0 ruffleschmuffled: