Today's Post

01 June 2009

Hot Pandesal: Rural Service Project 2009

My heart is still a little warm.

I just came from our Rural Service Project in Nueva Ecija, and I never thought it would be this heartwarming as an experiencing. It was so edifying to see the simple life they have, and how they manage to get by in their everyday struggles.

I've never been to Nueva Ecija, and the first time I got there, it did not strike me as a beautiful province. But having the chance to stay there for a week, I realized this province has an inner beauty kept within its people. I could not stress even further how great the people are.

I love their hot pandesal, their spanish bread, as well as the Kapitana's espasol.

Apart from the place having great people, what made the experience more than special is the happy company I had throughout. We were like the von trapp family, singing everywhere we go: singing a chorus in front of a 10-year-old birthday girl, singing while we paint, singing as we ride the calabao. Anywhere and everywhere, we have a song that befits the moment. One of the highlights of the week was when we had a big bowl of ice cream surprise, then smores (the real thing) the next night. Sugar rush would be an understatement, because we were like happy hyenas each time we had such good desserts.

What a joyous experience to be with good-hearted people, and to be able to share a part of my heart to people who, unknowing to them, have given more love than we have.

the clarinet, the clarinet, says doo-a-doo-a-doo-a-doo-a-det. the clarinet, the clarinet, says doo-a-doo-a-doo-a-det. The piccolo it sings it, it sways it, and it sings it. the piccolo, it sings it, it sways it, and it swings it. the horn, the horn, it sounds so forlorn. the horn, the horn, it sounds so forlorn. the bass...

0 ruffleschmuffled: